Monday 19 February 2007

Meeting old classmates...

He was such a quiet fellow in school...mousy in fact. I hardly ever noticed him. All that I ever registered, although subconsciously, was that he had very peaceful eyes.

This morning there was a lecture in office about investments. Boss gave me the consultant's name and telephone number to call and explain the office address. The name did ring a bell...but, I ignored, thinking its a fairly common name. A little while later when he landed up in office, it turned out to be the same mousy chap from school !

He hasn't changed a bit...but what I used to think as mousy and diminutive is in fact calmness. And a reserved nature perhaps. He did recognise and acknowledge me, though. There's a quiet confidence about him. Today, his eyes struck me the most...the peace in his eyes. I wondered why I never noticed them before. He gave a wonderful talk...no selling...plain informative and very practical and down to earth.

It was a revelation. How people turn out. Its so amazing to watch. And also so intersting to compare how you reacted to a person previously and how you react now. How some things change and some things don't change at all...and how your perception changes. I am having a rush of thoughts and I'm finding it really dificult to sort them and also difficult to write. So, I'll be back when these sheep have finally crossed the road :) *

* Whenever I have a rush of thoughts...which is quite often by the way...I am reminded of an image from the film Roja. Arvind Swamy is driving to the village on a picturesque, winding road and all of a sudden a couple of hundred sheep descend on the road from the mountain...and they keep coming...and coming...

Zoya
********************************************

4 comments:

Cacophoenix said...

well said. It is so true how people turn out. I am sometimes suprised by just looking at a mirror. Seems like I meet a different person each time ;-)

Anonymous said...

Dhoop:
there was this happy-go-lucky guy in my school, actively involved in sports & school plays but i never had a chance to meet him after the school. I never imagined that a person with that much zeal for life will give it away so easily by committing suicide. Are we what we are or is that your surroundings that build you.

On more happy note, I have observed people turning from restless to peaceful, from untidy clumsy Missy to irresistibly charming. (hmm may be i can write a post abt the last one) But this evolution sometime confuse you and esp if you meet somebody after a long gap. You spend half of your time looking for that old chum inside that person and before you realize its over.

Zoya said...

Hey Anyesha, thanks for dropping by. I DID hit the publish button while moderating your comment, but it has mysteriously vanished ! Oh well...the vagaries of software !

Hey C & D :) Glad to see you.

C: Yes, if u look back at ur own journey, even tht is amazing.

D: U r right. We look for the old buddy, dont find him/her and feel disappointed. I think we shd look at it like a new friendship...may be tht will work.

Anonymous said...

Times change, circumstances change, people change...

Wonder what some of my own classmates are doing? I had met one recently, and he had joined army, now off to some UN mission. But that didnt really come as a surprise. He was always the 'physical' kind , if you understand what i mean - not in the negative sense...

Never thought of Roja's scene that way...interesting way of putting it...

(BTW, ages since u visited my blog)